Jägerschnitzel, translating to “hunter’s cutlet,” is a traditional German dish, renowned for its rich flavors and hearty composition. This dish has its roots in German culinary traditions, reflecting the practices and preferences of hunters, who favored robust and fulfilling meals. Jägerschnitzel originally featured a breaded and fried cutlet, typically of pork or veal, smothered in a savory mushroom gravy, embodying the earthy flavors of the forests, a common hunting ground.
- 4 pork or veal cutlets
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Oil, for frying
- 1 onion, diced
- 200gr mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup beef or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Prepare the Cutlets:
- Season the cutlets with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Dredge each cutlet in flour, dip in beaten eggs, and then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Fry the Cutlets:
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Fry the cutlets until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Once cooked, remove the cutlets from the skillet and set them aside.
- Prepare the Mushroom Gravy:
- In the same skillet, add butter and sauté the diced onion until translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until they are browned and have released their moisture.
- Pour in the broth and bring the mixture to a simmer, allowing it to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Finish the Gravy:
- Stir in the heavy cream and let the gravy simmer until it has thickened to your liking.
- Adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Combine and Serve:
- Place the fried cutlets back into the skillet, allowing them to be coated and warmed in the mushroom gravy.
- Garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
- Serving Suggestion:
- Serve the Jägerschnitzel hot with sides like mashed potatoes, spaetzle, or a green salad.
Jägerschnitzel is a delightful dish that represents the hearty and flavorful culinary traditions of Germany. The combination of the crispy cutlet and the rich, earthy mushroom gravy makes it a comforting and satisfying meal, perfect for those who appreciate robust flavors and textures.